On Firday, at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, BMW delivered the first BMW i8 plug-in hybrid sports car to a US customer. This happened the day before the custom Concours d’Elegance was auctioned off by Jay Leno for $825,000
Among the first group receiving a BMW i8 is Roger Penske, Chairman of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Team Penske, which operates race teams in both the NASCAR and IndyCar series. With a strong legacy in transportation services, Penske understands the significance of the plug-in sports car to the automotive industry. Rick Hendrick, Chairman of Hendrick Automotive Group, currently the second-largest privately held dealership group in the country, will also be taking delivery of a BMW i8 during Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Additionally, Hendrick is the owner of Hendrick Motorsports, fielding four teams competing in the premier NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Included with the vehicle was an exclusive dinner after taking delivery of the i8 at the BMW Villa.
Here’s a list of the first batch of i8 owners:
- Tony Fadell, Founder and CEO of Nest, which reinvents unloved home products, like the thermostat.
- Michael Fux, a pioneer in the mattress and bedding industry and is currently CEO of Comfort Revolution.
- John Hendricks, Founder of the global media company Discovery Communications and Founder of Curiosity Project, a multi-platform service delivering highest-quality deep-dive content to lifelong learners.
- Barry Klarberg, Founder, CEO, Monarch Business and Wealth Management.
- Miles Nadal, Chairman, CEO President and Founder of MDC Partners, one of the largest advertising holding companies worldwide.
- Sam Nazarian, Founder, Chairman and CEO of SBE, a leading global hospitality and entertainment company.
- Patrick Wachsberger, Co-Chairman of Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, a premier next generation global content leader.
The BMW i8 has an MSRP of $135,700, and joins BMW’s growing ‘i’ group of visionary vehicles for ‘densely populated cities.’