sam

Volkswagon ID concept

Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Interesting article on the Volkswagon ID concept vehicle as Volkswagon has has some major bumps in the road this year

Below is part of the article the rest can be found at http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/30/volk ... ure-plans/

"If you've been paying attention, 2016 hasn't been a great year for Volkswagen. The TDI scandal removed VW's last crutch between our internal combustion present and the electric future, and so the company found itself scrambling to shift resources to show what's next right now. It's naive to assume that this is truly the sort of fairytale comeback story that VW's spin doctors would have us all believe, but it's notable that instead of flinching or pointing fingers, the engineers got to work.
What they've produced is the I.D. concept, the third wave in VW's volume car history after the Beetle and Golf. The transaxle Golf was more than simply an updated Beetle, and likewise the I.D. is more than an electrified Golf. VW says the I.D. won't replace the Golf, but they said the same thing about that car replacing the Beetle. It's only a matter of time.
VW says the I.D. won't replace the Golf, but they said the same thing about that car replacing the Beetle. It's only a matter of time.
The I.D. approach is refreshingly simple: no carbon fiber chassis, no exotic battery chemistry, no outrageous concept car styling. The MEB chassis (the German acronym for modular electric platform) is made out of a traditional mix of high-strength steel grades to save costs and utilize existing factories. The battery is integral, not swappable, to reduce complexity and increase structural rigidity. It's also uses lithium-ion chemistry because of a proven track record and an existing (albeit deficient) supply chain. Contrast that with the e-Golf, which shares its chassis with the conventional internal-combustion cars. Fitting the battery and its ancillary systems became complicated and expensive. The skateboard installation in the I.D. will allow the pack to be optimized for the space available, reducing costs....."

laev

Re: Volkswagon ID concept

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 am

Doing the best with Basics is always a good idea

Return to “Volkswagen e-Up!”