aidan

Could the Outlander PHEV put Mitsubishi back on the map?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:22 am

Back on the map???? The Outlander has a huge following I don't think they have ever been off the map ;)
Could the Outlander PHEV put Mitsubishi back on the map?
autoweek.com
Oct 9, 2017

Mitsubishi's PHEV Outlander is their make it or break it moment
Hybrid Outlander will become the first mass-market plug-in crossover
October 9, 2017
In the waning days of 2017, the mainstream midsize crossover segment in the U.S. will get its first plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. It will beat any current luxury crossover model for both MPGe and electric-only range, come with direct-current fast-charging and will be available nationwide at a price attainable by many households.
But the badge on the chrome grille won't be Honda's, Toyota's or Ford's. It will be Mitsubishi's. The Outlander PHEV crossover, new for 2018, will be a low-volume model. Sales goals are a modest 3,000 to 4,000 a year. But it is a crucial opportunity for the brand and its dealers in a long journey back to relevance in the U.S.
Get this step right, and it will be an essential foot in the door of the electric conversation; get it wrong, and it could complicate the launch and awareness of other electrified models coming from Mitsubishi.
Thus, the brand faces two key challenges: getting the word out about the new Outlander plug-in and having in place a dealer body engaged and prepared for the new type of customer this and future electrified models will bring.
Despite being ahead of the pack in affordable crossover electrification — the Outlander PHEV starts at $35,535 including shipping but before any state or federal tax incentives — Mitsubishi knows stiff competition is only a few years away.
"The Outlander [PHEV] is unique, but we won't have that for many years," Don Swearingen, executive vice president of Mitsubishi Motors North America, told Automotive News. "Some of our competitors will be out in the next few years with something similar, and we want to make sure we make a mark."
The Outlander PHEV itself isn't new, just new to the U.S. It's been on sale in Europe and Japan for years, delayed to the U.S. for reasons relating to battery supply and certification issues with regulators.
The extra time has given Mitsubishi time to fortify fundamentals at the dealership level. This includes limiting fleet sales, increasing each store's sales per outlet count and also increasing general engagement among its 360 dealers themselves.
"We have some dealers that are doing fabulous, and we have some dealers that are a little disengaged," Swearingen said. "Our key is to get them re-engaged with the brand. We have dealers selling 100 to 200 vehicles a month, and of course, we'd like all of them to do that."
A dearth of new products in the pipeline has been a key reason for disengagement. Products such as the Outlander PHEV and the new Eclipse Cross crossover due in early 2018 have significantly boosted interest from the dealer body.
The alliance with Nissan Motor Co., which now owns a controlling stake in Mitsubishi Motors Corp., also has gone a long way in catching dealers' attention and giving them confidence in the future of the brand, Swearingen said.
A reasonable fleet mix also has helped. Fleet sales are currently around 11 percent of Mitsubishi's annual U.S. sales, which it counts during a fiscal year that runs from April through March. That's a significant drop from a peak of 30 percent roughly a decade ago.
But Swearingen sees some fleet sales as good for a small brand such as Mitsubishi, competing with the likes of Honda and Toyota. Fleets are a cost-effective way to raise awareness and put vehicles into the hands of consumers. He would be fine with a mix as high as 18 percent of sales.
Vehicle sales per outlet per month are now around 22, up from a low of around 10 six years ago. Within the next three years, Swearingen hopes to get that number into the mid-30s.
New customers
To continue that climb, Mitsubishi is taking seriously the new kind of customer a PHEV model is expected to bring to the brand. Every Mitsubishi dealer interested in selling the Outlander PHEV, which will be available in all 50 states, will need to be certified by the automaker.
This entails such costs as installing chargers at the store and training sales and service staff about the specifics of the more complicated PHEV powertrain. So far, about 85 percent of dealers have signed up. The automaker hopes to hit near 100 percent certification.
"The PHEV buyer is a buyer who takes a lot more time researching cars on the Internet," Swearingen said. "We think it's very important that when someone walks into a dealership, there's someone who can intelligently talk about the vehicle."
Pulling out all the stops — even for a small-volume model such as the Outlander PHEV — is a necessary move, given that the model foretells a Mitsubishi future that is full of electrified crossovers.
"We want to make sure we make a mark," Swearingen said. "I look at this as a new halo car for Mitsubishi."
"Mitsubishi's make it or break it moment" originally appeared in Automotive News on 10/9/2017
By David Undercoffler at Automotive News

fireme

Re: Could the Outlander PHEV put Mitsubishi back on the map?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Aidan, are you from Europe?
In the USA, the Outlander PHEV has not been available yet.
I was seriously interested in this vehicle, to be on sale here in the states perhaps December 2017.
But the more I learned, it became clear this is not the vehicle for me.
First, it is 4 or 5 years old design. It is already outdated. EV technology moves quickly. The new Tesla/Kia/Honda/Chevy/Volvo... EV's will be the new standard. The range is inadequate. The MPG not that good. It is extremely complex and heavy. Seems destined to not excel at anything. Although in Europe, it has been reliable. One must rely on Mitsubishi to continue to support/service this very complex PHEV, when Mitsubishi itself isn't doing so great in the USA. Integrate these and other factors into the buying decision, it will become a niche product. I guess if I must have a roomy cross-over PHEV with AWD then she is the one.

laev

Re: Could the Outlander PHEV put Mitsubishi back on the map?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:21 am

I never knew the Outlander was even off the map it has a huge following it has a massive amount of people that post in it on YouTube can't imagine that it had to be put back on the map I think the phev will only do greater of its value but I think it's definitely on the map

Return to “Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV”