ziv

Chevy confirms Spark production will end with Bolt EV

Wed May 25, 2016 8:15 pm

The Bolt EV pre-production is happening at the Orion plant in Michigan with retail production set to start sometime in October 2016.

The 2016 Spark EV will continue to be produced at the Changwon, South Korea plant through the late summer. On the production schedule for the plant for the 2017/Fall season, there is no mention of the Spark EV....

Looks like the Spark EV is dead. There are some good lease deals right now, but it might be your last chance to get one.

picasso

RE:Chevy confirms Spark production will end with Bolt EV

Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm

That's too bad they didn't keep producing the Spark EV - it would be a nice low price alternative to the Bolt EV.

evguy

Wed May 25, 2016 8:18 pm

I was going to say the same thing.

There will be a hole in the EV market for a low-cost EV. Maybe it's a matter of tax credits, and using them on Volt/Bolt vehicle that is more profitable than the Spark EV was/is

mitchev

Wed May 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Sure they've cancelled production, but the Spark was never really available to the market anyways.... it will only leave a hole in the EV market in the compliance states (and Canada IIRC)

Plus, there's still the I-MiEV and Smart ED.

I think it would make more sense to have a smaller battery-pack variant like a 24 kWh Bolt. With the Bolt EV being on sale for $37K, a Spark EV is really only worth $15K or less.

oceanroad

Wed May 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Spark EV is already $25K MSRP, with some selling for under $19K before incentives, and lots for $22K/$23K.

I suspect MSRP could go lower.

terra

Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 pm

I sat in a Spark EV at an auto show years ago, felt like a third world golf cart. A compliance one at that

evguy

Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 pm

A small electric vehicle like this would sell well in Europe, markets where the Twizy is, where they love that kind of small car.

Some people like cheap materials that are easy to clean with pets and/or kids in the car. I'd rather save money than have refined leather and wood grain trims that serve no useful purpose, especially on a commuter vehicle like the Spark Electric

aidan

Re: Chevy confirms Spark production will end with Bolt EV

Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 am

wow the Spark has a huge following. It's known to be a great city car with nimble handling. It has great range, good pick up and it is priced right. I'm surprised they are letting it go. I guess the Bolt will take it's place..

Return to “Chevy Spark EV”