Tcdn

Why Chevrolet Bolt, 238-mile all-electric car, isn’t selling well

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Why Chevrolet Bolt, 238-mile all-electric car, isn’t selling well

The Bolt started off with really great sales in January but by February sales tanked. The feeling is the road trip is still not an option due to lack of convenient charging stations

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/03/w ... s-start-2/

At 80 miles per hour, her range decreased from 238 to about 103 miles, she reported. After numerous stops and charge-ups that took more than an hour, she and her teenaged daughter arrived at Caltech 11.5 hours later. In a gasoline car, the trip would’ve taken a little more than five hours.

The cost of charging equaled $88, about as much as a 24-mpg gasoline car at $3 a gallon, she wrote.

new2evs

Re: Why Chevrolet Bolt, 238-mile all-electric car, isn’t selling well

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 am

Isn't this car selling well - I mean it is still receiving a ton of awards

bobster

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:09 pm

This is were I'm at right now... Until the outlaying infrastructure gets in place, EV sales are going to be limited to city transportation. Bolt would be the perfect city car here in Dallas/Fort Worth (large footprint cities) with it's 238 mile range, weekend excursions around the city, etc. But, not seeing it workable for day trips outside the area much less multi-day trips.

Might work in California where there are many more large cities along a route, but not in the mid-West. That is where Tesla shines with their strategically thought out network of supercharges that will get you from point A to point B given you stick to the well traveled roads/interstates. And, you really can't blame Tesla for keeping it a closed system given they are doing the investing...

While ChargePoint, EVGo seems to rely on business owners to establish their network offering the equipment/payment infrastructure, but not investing in establishing strategically placed DC-Fast sites... A business owner in tin-buck-two is not going to pay for the installation of a DC-Fast charger much less a Level 2 charger at this point. Correct me if that is wrong, that is just the impression I have gotten.

citygirl

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:09 pm

bobster wrote:This is were I'm at right now... Until the outlaying infrastructure gets in place, EV sales are going to be limited to city transportation. Bolt would be the perfect city car here in Dallas/Fort Worth (large footprint cities) with it's 238 mile range, weekend excursions around the city, etc. But, not seeing it workable for day trips outside the area much less multi-day trips.

Might work in California where there are many more large cities along a route, but not in the mid-West. That is where Tesla shines with their strategically thought out network of supercharges that will get you from point A to point B given you stick to the well traveled roads/interstates. And, you really can't blame Tesla for keeping it a closed system given they are doing the investing...

While ChargePoint, EVGo seems to rely on business owners to establish their network offering the equipment/payment infrastructure, but not investing in establishing strategically placed DC-Fast sites... A business owner in tin-buck-two is not going to pay for the installation of a DC-Fast charger much less a Level 2 charger at this point. Correct me if that is wrong, that is just the impression I have gotten.

I think this is the issue EV drivers are either accepting or rejecting and then going to not all electric. You have to accept there are changes in the way you plan your road trips with an all electric. Plan to drive by the charging stations and wait time at them while you are charging. The infrastructure is just not there yet and may not be for a substantial amount of time . I see it the same way you.....

Return to “Chevrolet Bolt”