Daniel01

Lamborghini CEO Admits Electrification Is The Future

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Stefano Domenicali, Chief Executive Officer of Automobili Lamborghini, has interesting views about electrification and autonomy. He doesn’t see self-driving technology as something that his company would benefit from, but he admits that electric cars are going to come to be the way of the future.

Stefano Domenicali's First Appearance As Lamborghini CEO At The Geneva Auto Show
Stefano Domenicali’s First Appearance As Lamborghini CEO At The Geneva Auto Sho
Domenicali is surely impressed with autonomous technology. He sees its purpose for mobility. However, Lamborghini customers are not likely in search of their Italian luxury sports car for commuting. He said:

“You can’t spend your whole life sitting in a vehicle that will do everything for you. You need to be active and be the protagonist of what you’re doing, and this is the objective of Lamborghini.”

“Normally, our customer has many cars, not only Lamborghini. I hope they can concentrate on autonomous driving with the other cars on their fleet. When you drive a Lamborghini, you have to have the passion … so I cannot think of a Lamborghini with these kind of [autonomous] characteristics.”

In terms of electrification, although Domenicali may be a bit saddened, he sees the writing on the wall. For the time being, Domenicali points out that the technology is too expensive to be viable for super sports cars. He does make a point that it is still important to make the right choices for the future.

“That is the future. We cannot think that … electrification, hybrids and fuel cells will not hit the super sports car segment. It will. It’s a matter of time.”

The Lamborghini Asterion concept premiered a few years back as the company’s attempt at a PHEV. Domenicali said that he would like to see it become a production vehicle, but he doesn’t anticipate it becoming a reality. He explained:

“In a perfect world, we could see four models for the Lamborghini portfolio, but that is not the case today because of the amount of investment we would have to put on the table.”

http://insideevs.com/lamborghini-ceo-admits-electrification-future/

aidan

Re: Lamborghini CEO Admits Electrification Is The Future

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:06 am

I couldn't find any statistics on the 2014 Asterion LPI 910 - 4 I wonder if this had promising sales for Lamborghini or not

sam

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:13 am

Lamborghini plans to release a 2019 version of the Asterion with newer and better technology

Tcdn

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 am

The biggest question I see here is do they have the Battery Technology to maintain the performance of this vehicle

theflash

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm

Of course electrification is the future. If the car companies want to still be in business in 10 years, they should start building EVs.

theflash

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Tcdn wrote:The biggest question I see here is do they have the Battery Technology to maintain the performance of this vehicle

I'd love to see the battery specifications of the car too. Perhaps they're working on it.

beesinyourbonnet

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Of course it's the future. a. there's only so much gas and oil you can use for energy- sooner or later the sources will diminish and b. burning these fuels are hazardous to the environment.

Tcdn

Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:02 am

It is the way of the future but we have to have great performance batteries in order to satiate all of the public and economic needs

Return to “Website / Forum Discussions”